- Call 1-800-522-4700
Opening Day Cardinals at Reds Preview
National League Central rivals square off on Opening Day 2021 as the St. Louis Cardinals head to Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, Ohio, to take on the hometown Reds.
A pair of aces head to the bump for each team as the Cardinals will start 25-year-old flamethrower Jack Flaherty, and the Reds will send out 2020 Cy Young Finalist Luis Castillo.
It should be a very entertaining game on Opening Day as each of these pitchers has tremendous stuff and should steal the show.
It is supposed to be very cold in Cincinnati today, so advantage pitchers. The ball doesn't carry as well in cold, dense air, and that is a big deal in that ballpark. There are flurries forecasted for a portion of the early part of the day.
Cardinals at Reds Schedule
- First Pitch: 4:10 PM EST
- Location: Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati, Ohio
- How To Watch: BSOH
Arenado Makes Cardinals Debut
The St. Louis Cardinals made the biggest splash of the 2021 offseason when they acquired All-Star third baseman Nolan Arenado from the Colorado Rockies via trade.
Arenado has torched the Reds throughout his career, slashing .318/.387/.592 hitting 12 home runs in 43 career games.
This will be a big addition to the Cardinals' offense when you pair Arenado with All-Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt in the lineup together.
Castillo Looks To Build On Big 2020
Reds ace Luis Castillo was outstanding in the pandemic shortened season of 2020. Castillo put up a 3.21 ERA with a 1.22 WHIP striking out 89 batters in 70 innings pitched.
That was enough to garner some Cy Young votes. He always had this upside, and it has just taken a few years for it to come to fruition.
In 11 career starts against the Cardinals, Castillo is 4-4 with a 3.84 ERA and 1.12 WHIP with 64 strikeouts in 65.2 innings pitched.
Cardinals at Reds Vegas Odds
- Betting Line: Reds -115
- Over/Under: 7.5
The Reds are favored in this matchup, and that is a bit surprising beings the Cardinals have their ace on the mound and are the odds on favorites to win the National League Central Division in 2021.
The weather will play a key factor in today's game. The offenses will be somewhat suppressed from a homerun aspect due to the cold, dense air currently in Cincinnati.
While weather does give pitchers an advantage, the grip can also be a problem at times for pitchers when it is cold. With MLB instituting stricter foreign substance monitoring, this could be a day where grip is an issue.
Early on in the season, pitchers generally have an advantage, as well as hitters are still getting their swing going and need some time to feel comfortable at the plate.
This should be a decent pitcher's duel and will come down to the bullpen, where the Cardinals have a bit of an advantage. Look for a bullpen miscue to be the difference in this Opening Day game.
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- Cleveland Guardians: 3 Dream Free Agent SigningsGrant Puskar2 weeks ago
- Way Too Early Guardians Off-Season PredictionsCole Paganelli2 weeks ago
- Houston Astros vs. Philadelphia Phillies World Series Game 4 Betting PreviewBarry Devoe3 weeks ago
- Houston Astros vs. Philadelphia Phillies World Series Game 3 Betting PreviewRyan Knuppel1 month ago
- Philadelphia Phillies vs. Houston Astros World Series Game 1 Betting PreviewAyden Fahlstrom1 month ago
- Recent Posts
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Donovan Mitchell & Cavs Stay Red-Hot In Win Over Trail BlazersDrew Thirion20 hours ago
- Thanksgiving Thursday NFL Three Team TeaserCole Paganelli2 days ago
- No. 3 Michigan vs. No. 2 Ohio State "The Game" Betting PreviewRyan Knuppel2 days ago
- Louisville vs. Cincinnati Maui Invitational November 23 Betting PreviewGrant Puskar2 days ago
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. Tennessee Titans November 27 Betting PreviewSam Frohman4 days ago