Cincinnati Reds vs. New York Mets Series Preview, Betting Odds
The start of this week features a National League showdown between the New York Mets (48-42) and the Cincinnati Reds (48-45). The Reds will host this series at the Great American Ballpark starting on Monday.
The Mets come into this series off of a really tough weekend. They lost three of four to the Pittsburgh Pirates, and their lone win on Sunday was only after they came back from a six-run deficit. Still in first in the NL. East, they will look to get back on track starting Monday.
The Reds are also coming off of a rough weekend as they were swept by the Milwaukee Brewers. After sweeping them right before the All-Star break, Cincinnati flopped this weekend and missed a golden opportunity to cut into the Brewers’ division lead, which now sits at seven.
The schedule for the three-game series at the Great American Ballpark is as follows:
- Monday, July 19 - 7:10 pm ET
- Tuesday, July 20 - 7:10 pm ET
- Wednesday, July 21 - 12:35 pm ET
Here is the pitching matchup for each game of the series:
- Monday: Jerad Eickhoff (0-1, 4.97 ERA) vs. Vladimir Gutierrez (4-3, 4.29 ERA)
- Tuesday: TBD vs. Wade Miley (7-4, 2.80 ERA)
- Wednesday: TBD vs. Jeff Hoffman (3-4, 4.61 ERA)
Looking At Odds
Currently leading the NL East, the Mets are -175 to win the division. They are +900 to win the World Series this season.
The Reds, after falling seven games back in the division, are now +550 to win the NL. Central. They sit at +6000 to win the World Series.
By The Number
Cincinnati holds a big advantage offensively. They rank ninth overall averaging 4.84 runs per game (5.51 at home). The Mets rank 29th in the majors averaging just 3.76 runs per game.
Defensively, it is all New York. They rank third in scoring defense, allowing opponents just 3.72 runs per game. The Reds fall to 22nd, allowing 4.84 runs per game.
Mets Trying To Fight Through Injuries
While they still hold a two-game lead over the Philadelphia Phillies in the NL. East, the Mets are in a tough spot. Not only did they lose their series over the weekend, but they also lost some key pieces. Both Francisco Lindor (oblique) and Jacob deGrom (forearm) were placed on the injured list.
With deGrom injured, the Mets have some decisions to make in their rotation, hence the indecisiveness on who will currently start the second and third games.
Offensively, the Mets are led by Pete Alonso. The Home Run Derby champion is hitting .254/.335/.477 with a team-leading 17 home runs and 49 runs batted in.
While they lost Lindor, the Mets did welcome back JD. Davis over the weekend. He made an immediate impact upon return as he went three for four with two home runs and four runs batted in during Saturday’s loss.
Reds Have To Pick Up Ground In A Hurry
Heading into the All-Star break, the Reds were encouraged as they were just four games behind the Brewers in the division. Unfortunately, a major letdown to start the second half, the Reds now have some catching up to do if they want to make a run at a postseason berth.
As strong as their offense has been, the Reds’ pitching continues to disappoint. They gave up a whopping 26 runs over their three-game series, and the pitching staff now ranks 21st with a 4.45 ERA.
Offensively, the team is led by dual All-Stars, Jesse Winker and Nick Castellanos. For Winker, he is hitting .292/.373/.521 with 19 home runs, 50 runs batted in, and 59 runs scored.
Not to be outdone, Castellanos is hitting .330/.384/.583 with 18 home runs, 59 runs batted in, and 59 runs scored.
Reds Need Pitching To Step Up
Despite their come-from-behind win on Sunday, the Mets are reeling right now, and this might be the perfect time for the Reds to welcome them into Cincinnati.
While New York is an impressive 28-14 at home, they have struggled on the road (20-28). This bodes well for a Reds team that is desperately in need of a series win.
To do so, the Reds have to get a better effort from their pitching staff, but if they can, this should be a series they can win.
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- Best bet for NLCS Game 2: Diamondbacks vs. PhilliesGrant Puskar4 months ago
- Today in the MLB: Best Bets for July 14th, 2023Grant Puskar7 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 30, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 29, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 28, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Recent Posts
- How To: Same Game Parlays (2024)Alex Kaufman1 month ago
- The NFL's Top Paid QB's in 2023/24: How did their team do?Grant Puskar1 month ago
- Ohio Sports Betting Bill: 2023Kole Emplit2 months ago
- Browns WR's will play key role in offensive successMac Blank3 months ago
- Browns trade deadline inactivity means Deshaun Watson should return to form soonMac Blank4 months ago