Cleveland Cavaliers Should Hope For Jalen Green No. 3 Overall in 2021 NBA Draft
It was July 1, 2018.
The Cavaliers were less than a month from being swept out of the NBA Finals by a familiar foe, The Golden State Warriors. LeBron James decided to take his talents to “La La Land” and join the Los Angeles Lakers.
Since then, the Cavaliers are a brutal 60-131 in three seasons. They have had no luck in the NBA Draft Lottery to add insult to injury. The Cavaliers first round lottery pick had not moved up in six of the last eight lotteries heading into Tuesday night. I think everyone in Cleveland could agree – the Cavaliers were due for some luck.
On Tuesday night, luck was floating through the air in Cleveland. The Cavaliers landed the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 NBA draft. They entered the night with just an 11.2 percent chance of landing that 3rd pick.
The assumption is that the Detroit Pistons, holder of the No. 1 overall pick, will take future star, Cade Cunningham, out of Oklahoma State.
The real NBA draft begins at pick No. 2, with the Houston Rockets.
Will they go with a big man to pair with Christian Wood or will they go with guard to compliment Kevin Porter Jr.? Whatever decision the Rockets make will have a direct impact on the Cavaliers selection at 3.
Who Will the Cavs Target at 3?
In my eyes, the homerun pick would be Jalen Green out of the NBA G-League. Why Jalen Green? Green is a 6-foot-5 athletic guard with good length and a 6-foot-7 wingspan. He is relentless in his ability to attack the rim and draw fouls. Green can step out to the 3-point line and hit the jumper, as well. When his outside shot is hitting, there isn’t much the defense can do to stop him. He is a versatile defender that can defend multiple positions on the perimeter.
The Cavaliers should be attending church everyday until the NBA draft – praying that Jalen Green falls to them at No. 3.
There is, however, another guard the Cavaliers should keep a close eye on. Another Jalen, Jalen Suggs, out of Gonzaga. Suggs is a lead guard who obtains incredible leadership skills, with mental and physical toughness that will leave NBA General Managers drooling.
Trade Sexton or Garland?
The Cavaliers still have two “point-guards” on their roster in Darius Garland and Collin Sexton. Will the two Jalens force the Cavaliers to trade Darius Garland or Collin Sexton? The answer is probably yes. Then, the question becomes who and at what price?
One thing is for certain – Koby Altman has his work cut out for him before the 2021 NBA Draft on July 29.
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- NBA Free Agency: What We Know And What Is ComingIan Jameson7 months ago
- 2023 NBA Draft Highlights: Spurs take generational talent, Cavs grab projectIan Jameson8 months ago
- 2023 NBA Finals In Review: How The Nuggets Made HistoryIan Jameson9 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 12th, 2023Grant Puskar9 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 9, 2023Grant Puskar9 months ago
- Recent Posts
- How To: Same Game Parlays (2024)Alex Kaufman1 month ago
- The NFL's Top Paid QB's in 2023/24: How did their team do?Grant Puskar1 month ago
- Ohio Sports Betting Bill: 2023Kole Emplit2 months ago
- Browns WR's will play key role in offensive successMac Blank4 months ago
- Browns trade deadline inactivity means Deshaun Watson should return to form soonMac Blank4 months ago