Latest MLB News and Notes
Baseball season is in full effect in Ohio, with the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds a month and a half into the season. Here are the latest news and notes from Major League Baseball.
Reds Staying Known in the National League Central
Baseball season is still young, but teams can lose seasons before the dog days of summer. If you look at the Detroit Tigers at 10-24, they will have a tough time finding relevancy in 2021.
The Reds are sitting pretty in the National League Central. The team has cooled down immensely since their hot streak to start the season. However, they are 16-16 and 3.5 games behind the Cardinals for first place.
The Reds are 6-4 in their past ten games. On Monday, they cruised to victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates by a score of 14-1. Eugenio Suarez and Tyler Naquin each homered in the win. However, Nick Senzel was the MVP for Cincinnati, collecting two hits with a double and three RBIs.
Is Nick Castellanos Turning into an MVP Candidate?
Nick Castellanos has been the figurehead in Cincinnati this season since he feuded with the Cardinals in the opening series. Castellanos was targeted for his passionate play, but he is backing up all cockiness that he displays.
Castellanos is slashing .314/.357/.627. Even though these numbers are terrific, he has led the Reds because of his power at the dish. The right fielder has gone yard nine times this season, and he has collected 22 RBIs.
Castellanos’ ability to get on base and power are the reasons why he is leading the team in runs scored with 24 on the season.
Indians Getting Hot at the Right Time
The Cleveland Indians have been sensational in their past ten games. The team is 7-3 in their past ten games, including a four-game series sweep over the Kansas City Royals. Kansas City began the series at the top of the division, but the Indians embarrassed the team on four straight nights.
Cleveland started the season slowly, but their recent winning streak has brought their record to 18-14 on the season. This mark is good for second place in the division, one game behind the first-place Chicago White Sox.
Interleague Play Ahead for the Indians
Cleveland will travel to Chicago for a two-game interleague matchup with the Cubs. Since the series is taking place in a National League ballpark, the Indians’ pitchers will need to hit. Shane Bieber will take the ball in game one on Tuesday night.
Bieber has been fantastic on the bump all season. If the season ended today, he would finish second in the Cy Young vote behind Gerrit Cole. Bieber has recorded 77 strikeouts in 48.1 innings. His ERA is 2.98, and he has a 3-2 record.
Bieber is why the Indians are a heavy favorite on Tuesday, but this will be only his third time swinging the bat in 2021. Bieber is 0-3 with one strikeout, but his dominant pitching should carry Cleveland to a victory on Tuesday.
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- Best bet for NLCS Game 2: Diamondbacks vs. PhilliesGrant Puskar4 months ago
- Today in the MLB: Best Bets for July 14th, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 30, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 29, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Parlay All Day & Betting Guide: June 28, 2023Grant Puskar8 months ago
- Recent Posts
- How To: Same Game Parlays (2024)Alex Kaufman1 month ago
- The NFL's Top Paid QB's in 2023/24: How did their team do?Grant Puskar1 month ago
- Ohio Sports Betting Bill: 2023Kole Emplit2 months ago
- Browns WR's will play key role in offensive successMac Blank4 months ago
- Browns trade deadline inactivity means Deshaun Watson should return to form soonMac Blank4 months ago