- Call 1-800-GAMBLER
New York Red Bulls at Columbus Crew Betting Preview
For everything that went right last year en route to an MLS Cup title, everything has gone wrong for the Columbus Crew a year later. With just one win in the last nine matches, the Crew have fallen out of the playoff race as they prepare for the middle game of three in a seven-day stretch. Fresh off a 1-0 loss in Miami Saturday, the Crew host New York Red Bulls Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. ET at Lower.com Field.
The Red Bulls beat Columbus at Red Bull Arena on August 18 with a 33rd-minute goal from John Tolkin. Last season the Crew knocked off the Red Bulls twice, including a 3-2 win in the playoffs in November. Columbus is in 10th place in the East with 27 points, while RBNY is a spot behind with 23 points.
Where Are the Goals?
The only win in the last nine games for the Cre came at home to end August as they beat rival FC Cincinnati. Miguel Berry scored two goals in that contest, but the Crew have repeatedly been held to zero or one goal during their run of losses.
Lucas Zelarayan is dangerous from anywhere on the field, but again isn’t getting much help. Striker Gyasi Zardes remains sidelined with an injury. Zardes, Zelarayan, and Berry have combined for 11 of the Crew’s 23 goals this season.
Players who were expected to contribute offensively this season have fallen flat. Newcomers Kevin Molino and Bradley Wright-Phillips have just one goal each in a combined 1200 minutes of action. Pedro Santos has just two goals and three assists after having six goals and seven helpers last year.
Goalkeeper Eloy Room has looked pedestrian at times this season, allowing 31 goals in 22 starts for a 1.41 GAA. Last season he allowed 15 goals all season with a 0.89 GAA. The Crew defense hasn’t posted a clean sheet since July 24, and they don’t have a shutout win at home since June 19.
Desperate Times for Red Bulls
The stretch has been just as bad for the New York Red Bulls, who have just one win in their last ten matches. First-year manager Gerhard Struber may be on the hot seat if the team can’t turn things around over the final two months. The Red Bulls haven’t won on the road since July 3, which was their only road win in 10 games this season.
Patryk Kilmala, Caden Clark, and Cristian Casseres Jr. each have four goals for the Red Bulls, while Fabio leads the team with six assists. In their 10-game stretch with just one win, the only time RBNY has scored more than one goal was a 3-2 loss to New England on July 31.
Keeper Carlos Coronel is one of two players to start every game this year and play every minute. In 21 starts, he has allowed 26 goals while making 56 saves. He blanked the Crew back on August 18 for one of his six clean sheets on the campaign.
- Columbus Crew +120
- New York Red Bulls +225
- Draw +265
- Total Goals: 2.5. Over -105. Under -120
- First to Score: Crew -130. Red Bulls +130
The loser of this game will be at least four points out of a playoff spot and potentially have to jump over three teams down the stretch. A Crew win could see them climb back into eighth place before they head to first-place New England this weekend. Getting a goal early would be huge for the Crew, who, time after time this season, have fallen behind in the first half-hour and had to play catch up.
⚽Put your Columbus Crew knowledge to the test for your chance at a free $50 Visa Gift Card! Practice sports betting in Ohio by locking in your free picks for your chance to win. Click here to enter! ⚽
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- Columbus BettingbetJACK Training Camp4 months ago
- Columbus Crew & FC Cincinnati Playoff Picture OddsTyler Vaysman6 months ago
- Charlotte FC vs. Columbus Crew October 5 Betting PreviewTyler Vaysman6 months ago
- New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew October 1 Betting PreviewTyler Vaysman6 months ago
- Columbus Crew vs. Inter Miami CF September 13 Betting Odds And AnalysisTyler Vaysman6 months ago
- Recent Posts
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Atlanta Hawks March 28 Betting PreviewRyan Knuppel1 day ago
- 2023 American League Central Betting GuideDrew Thirion14 hours ago
- Cleveland Guardians 2023 Season Betting PreviewAyden Fahlstrom5 days ago
- Cleveland Browns: Elijah Moore Is What The Browns Have Been MissingMac Blank5 days ago
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Brooklyn Nets March 23 Betting PreviewCole Paganelli1 week ago