- Call 1-800-GAMBLER
NFL Rookie of the Year: Best Future Bets To Make
Another impressive group of rookies are making their NFL debuts in a few short weeks. Out of that group, there are a few in particular who stand a good chance of claiming some major hardware by the season's end.
Here are some players on both sides of the football to consider when making your bets for Rookie of the Year.
QB Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars (+300)
Heralded as the best quarterback prospect since Andrew Luck and John Elway before him, Lawrence is the betting favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year. Still, it feels as if the +300 odds are not quite high enough for a player of his caliber.
The first overall pick in the 2020 draft completed three excellent years at Clemson, throwing for 90 touchdowns to just 17 interceptions. His completion percentage with the Tigers was just shy of 67 percent, and his play in big games helped earn Clemson their third national championship in 2018.
Assuming Lawrence beats out Gardner Minshew for the starting gig, the 6-foot-6 signal-caller will have a large role in the Jaguars' success -- or failure -- in 2021. But if the future star can bring the league's worst team to a spot of playing competitive games late in the season, he will have a great chance to win OROTY.
WR Ja'Marr Chase - Bengals (+1000)
Chase was the first wide receiver selected out of a loaded receiver class, a testament to his ability and potential. Now reunited with Joe Burrow, his old QB at LSU, the fifth overall pick is aiming to be the first receiver since Odell Beckham Jr. to capture the Offensive Rookie of the Year.
To say Chase and Burrow developed a solid rapport would be a gross understatement. In their National Championship season in 2019, Chase scored 20 touchdowns on 84 receptions, racking up nearly 1,800 yards in the process. Now with the two of them in the NFL together, the possibility of that chemistry returning is a significant possibility.
If there is one working against Chase, it's the fact that Anquan Boldin, Percy Harvin, and Beckham were the only wide receivers to win OROTY in the last 20 years. But with the amount of passing Cincinnati is expected to do and Chase entering the year as WR1 on the depth chart, betting him to become the fourth receiver on that list isn't a bad option.
CB Greg Newsome II - Browns (+2500)
This draft class was heavy with quarterbacks and wide receivers, but not necessarily at any defensive position. So with no obvious favorite like Chase Young and the Bosa brothers in years prior, Newsome is an intriguing option as an upset pick.
After three years at Northwestern, Newsome showcased his ability to do a little bit of everything. His work in coverage was elite, as he had 20 passes deflected over his career. And his role with the Browns could not be more perfect, as Denzel Ward will handle tougher assignments at least early on, and the pass-rush duo of Myles Garrett and Jadaveon Clowney can force opposing quarterbacks into mistakes, which an aggressive Newsome can capitalize on.
Injuries are a concern, as Newsome was limited to only three games in 2020. But if healthy, he's a starting corner for one of the more revamped defenses in football. That makes him at least worth a flier for a bet.
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- The Browns Need Speed At Receiver To Take The Next StepMac Blank2 weeks ago
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. Buffalo Bills AFC Divisional Round Betting PreviewTyler Vaysman2 weeks ago
- Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Kansas City Chiefs AFC Divisional Round Betting PreviewRyan Knuppel2 weeks ago
- Baltimore Ravens vs. Cincinnati Bengals Wild Card Betting PreviewBarry Devoe3 weeks ago
- NFL Best Bets: Wild Card WeekendRyan Knuppel3 weeks ago
- Recent Posts
- Kent State Golden Flashes vs. Akron Zips February 3 Betting PreviewBarry Devoe1 day ago
- Wisconsin Badgers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes February 2 Betting PreviewRyan Knuppel3 days ago
- Memphis Grizzlies vs. Cleveland Cavaliers February 2 Betting PreviewTyler Vaysman2 days ago
- Providence Friars vs. Xavier Musketeers February 1 Betting PreviewAyden Fahlstrom3 days ago
- Tulsa Golden Hurricane vs. Cincinnati Bearcats February 1 Betting PreviewBarry Devoe4 days ago