- Call 1-800-GAMBLER
Six Players the Cincinnati Bengals Could Cut
This is a tough time of the year where talented young players barely miss the cut for the 53-man roster. It's never easy for the coaches or players to deal with these decisions. Let’s look at the top talent that is projected to be cut during the final cut of the preseason on Tuesday August 31st.
Trayveon Williams (RB)
Williams has struggled to stay healthy especially this summer when it really counted. He is a very talented running back as he led the SEC in rushing yards and touchdowns in 2018, but his competition in Chris Evans has been solid and should lock up the RB2 spot.
Mike Thomas (WR)
Trying to compete on a squad with Tyler Boyd, Ja’Marr Chase, and Tee Higgins is never easy. There are very few backup spots and Mike Thomas will likely just miss one of those spots. Trent Taylor and Trenton Irwin have looked better during camp and preseason.
Mason Schreck (TE)
The tight end spot is not strong for the Bengals, but it is pretty clear that there is a top 2 in C.J. Uzomah and Drew Sample and that Thaddeus Moss will take the next tight end spot. Thaddeus Moss has outplayed Schreck, especially considering the number of passes that Schreck has dropped in practice.
Pooka Williams Jr. (RB)
Another talented running back will not make the roster for a number of reasons. The running back spot is essentially filled up, now, with the direction the Bengals are going. Pooka just recently got an injury to his hamstring during Sunday’s practice which definitely doesn’t help his case.
Renell Wren (DL)
Renell Wren is a monster with his physical stature standing 6-foot-5 315 pounds, but his injury history and lack of production in past seasons will prove to not be enough to put him on the 53-man roster. The Bengals have added many players this offseason to help get some pressure on quarterbacks, and there won’t be enough spots left for Wren.
Winston Rose (CB)
This is the case for another talented player that has some great players in front of him to prevent his NFL roster hopes. Rose has been playing well but Eli Apple and Jalen Davis have been playing better.
This set of guys will be a tough group to leave off the roster. If these predictions are correct, we hope that they won’t get taken from the practice squad by other teams who can see their potential. These guys all have the ability to be great players. With some more practice and experience, they could all develop to be very good football players.
The Bengals are not messing around this year as the AFC North is looking tough for yet another season. Head coach, Zac Taylor, needs to put together a squad that can compete in this league. Sometimes, he will need to make these tough decisions to leave out some young talent if it means bringing more depth in to win more games.
Share article on:
- Related Posts
- Cleveland Browns Rookie Draft Profile: Siaka IkaMac Blank1 week ago
- Cincinnati Bengals: 2023 NFL Draft RecapBarry Devoe3 weeks ago
- Cleveland Browns Rookie Draft Profile: Cedric TillmanMac Blank3 weeks ago
- Cleveland Browns: No Better Time Than Now To Win AFC NorthMac Blank1 month ago
- Cleveland Browns: Bringing Back Anthony Walker Jr Will Revive Browns DefenseMac Blank2 months ago
- Recent Posts
- Parlay All Day: May 25, 2023Grant Puskar16 hours ago
- Parlay All Day: May 24, 2023Grant Puskar2 days ago
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Where Do They Go From Here?Ian Jameson3 days ago
- Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Guardians May 22 Betting PreviewBarry Devoe4 days ago
- MLS Betting Preview: Columbus Crew vs. FC CincinnatiTony Battalio1 week ago